Sunday 7 October 2012

Unrelated

 
Director: Joanna Hogg

Starring: Kathryn Worth, Tom Hiddleston, Mary Roscoe, David Rintoul, Emma Hiddleston, Henry Lloyd-Hughes, Harry Kershaw, Michael Hadley

Distributed By: New Wave Films

Release Date: February 2008

-------------------------------------------------------------

One of the most realistic movies I’ve ever seen, this is at times uncomfortable and even cringeworthy viewing, but it’s also the sort of movie that you can’t tear yourself away from.
Joanna Hogg's direction is so brilliantly authentic it feels as though you’re actually on holiday with these characters viewing their day to day activities and problems from just a few feet back. I found that despite their flaws I began to like them even though at times I felt embarrassed on their behalf, particularly regarding Anna as the movie is mainly seen through her eyes. I think most people would agree that a family and friends’ holiday is often an awkward occasion for all involved and this movie displays that with ease and I especially liked that a lot of the scenes were obnoxiously loud and the conversations were cut off as the characters dealt with each other.
Kathryn Worth gives an excellent performance as Anna and it really seems like she is just tagging along, not really being a part of either group. When she does find her place I felt happy for her and as she falls for Oakley she portrays the absolute perfect example of almost crushing vulnerability and a longing for something that would make her feel some self-worth. I’ll admit her character did start to grate on me towards the end, but I think this is due to her honest portrayal of a woman who is very unhappy and is finally facing up to what she has become and what she wants.
Tom Hiddleston gives a very enjoyable performance throughout as Oakley who has the carefree arrogance and charm of youth. His argument with his father played by David Rintoul is intensely uncomfortable and very convincing and I was surprised by his maturity regarding Anna’s betrayal. I always enjoy it when actors who are real family members also portray this on film and Emma Hiddleston gives a likable and understated performance as Badge.
I really enjoyed all the supporting roles and again loved that it was very realistic as they travelled through the City.
I am so glad that I’ve seen this movie, which is an honest and important piece of drama that can speak to us all about how we deal with our nearest and dearest and how we all show different sides of ourselves, but in the end have to live with our decisions.
~~Nikki~~

No comments:

Post a Comment